Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Snow Days

I loved snow days as a kid. It was so much fun waking up (or not getting up) and finding that there was no school that day. We would bundle up and go outside and help my dad shovel the walk and driveway. When we were done we would come inside and my mom would have hot chocolate and toast waiting for us. As we got older we still looked forward to the hot chocolate and toast and we would sometimes do some baking.

Today we have a snow day. Do homeschoolers have these? I woke up this morning (now I can't go back to sleep) and found that school is closed and Darrin will probably work from home. As much as I love my down time when everyone is gone, I do enjoy these surprise family days.

Today I hope to start the fun memories of snow days. I want to send the kids outside to help daddy shovel the walk and have hot chocolate (made with honey) waiting for when they come inside and maybe we will make some cookies later.

What are your favorite memories of snow days?

Hot chocolate:
1/2 gallon of milk - heat on the stove
add 1/3 to 1/2 cup of cocoa (depending on how chocolaty you want it)
add honey to desired sweetness. We usually use between 1/2 to 1 cup.
1T vanilla
a pinch of salt

No comments: